[Amps] AL80A PROBLEM

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] AL80A PROBLEM
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2018 09:51:53 -0800
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2018 21:53:12 -0500
From: "BY THE LAKE" <magoo@isp.ca>
To: <amps@contesting.com>

<My AL80A began acting up a few weeks ago...nothing serious but baffling.  On
<160 and 80 mainly, when I tune up with about 30W drive, after a second or
two key down grid current jumps by about 50 ma, plate current by perhaps
25ma and power output by about 60 watts or so.  I have done all the usual
maintenance things and even tried my spare tube but the condition persists.
It does not seem as noticeable with higher drive and power output.  Watching
the power output meter on my transceiver, a slight increase is visible
coinciding with the changes in the amp's meter readings.  Sort of suggests a
tube about to go bad?  But two of them, one a little-used Amperex??

The onset of this condition coincided with some reports of an echo on my
signal!

<Anybody ever run across this type of thing?

<Bill VE3NH

###  You just stated that the power output meter  on your xcvr  INCREASES,
coinciding with the increase in your amps  grid and plate and PO meters.

##  The issue is with your xcvr.   Do you have the ALC hooked up, and if so,
tweaked correctly per the AL-80A manual ?  I believe there are  two adjustments
for the alc assy on the al80-a.

Jim   VE7RF