[Amps] 3CX3000A7 on 144 MHz

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] 3CX3000A7 on 144 MHz
From: Conrad PA5Y <g0ruz@g0ruz.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2020 19:35:24 +0000
I have just acquired 2 x  3CX3000A7 and I would like to put one on 2m.

I have a few designs for but before I start I have 2 questions.

The Heater current is 7.5V @ 51A - does anyone use a switch mode PSU?  Not sure
if Meanwell have anything suitable but that is where I would probably start.
Otherwise I have no idea where to get a custom transformer wound in the
Netherlands, which is where I live these days.

I do not want to run in AB2 all the time am I correct to assume that I can just
switch in a Zener with a pass transistor to bias to class C? I have never used
a zero bias tube before.

I could use a GM3SEK triode board of course!

I already have a 4.5kV supply that will drop down to 4.2kV on load, if anyone
is using a 3CX3000A7 on VHF I would also like to know how much gain to expect.
I do not expect the 144MHz performance to differ from that of 110 MHz based on
observations with a YC-156.

Regards

Conrad PA5Y