Re: [Amps] Amp causing RFI Update

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Amp causing RFI Update
From: Jeff Blaine <KeepWalking188@ac0c.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2020 13:18:26 -0600
Gary, good job there.

I find your black magic comment on the mark.  My shack is built with all the correct station engineering principles.  Antennas are nearly 300 feet out.  Single point ground into a breaker box located within feet of the shack which is also at the mains entry point to the house.  Monster ground system at the shack.  All the other stuff.

Against that I've run 4 different tube amps in that location without a single issue.  I picked up a shiny new SS amp and fried the control board in my aircon blower and high-tech thermostat working CW on 40m.  Absolute correlation between key down and smoke.

I'm sure I could have tracked down whatever was at the root cause.  I have the gear to do it.  But it was easier (and a lot more XYL friendly) to get the aircon back in action - FAST. Replaced the thermostat and the controller board.  But this time I bypassed all the I/O on the two units.  Been all quiet on the house electronics front since then.

I attribute it to RF black magic.  But I'm sure there was some RF coupling path in there somehow that the unique combination of that amp and the rest of the infrastructure brought together.  Pretty weird!

73/jeff/ac0c
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie
www.ac0c.com