Re: [Amps] Caps,snubber, mov across diodes ?

To: "'Jim Thomson'" <jim.thom@telus.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Caps,snubber, mov across diodes ?
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@largeriver.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2020 12:46:00 -0500
Hi Jim,

Some time ago I built a homebrew receiver with a transformer that had too
high a voltage for the circuit. So I put a choke between the diode
rectifiers and the filter caps (choke input). I chased noise in the receiver
for a long time until I put a small capacitor (.01 or so?) from the choke
input to ground. It completely killed the diode switching noise in the
receiver and the choke still did its job of holding down the voltage in the
circuit.

Generally I have seen it discouraged to put capacitors across diodes because
of the large tolerances in those bypass caps. If the diodes are run close to
their limit having capacitors of different values could cause some
unbalanced division of transient voltages to be present on some diodes.

73
Gary  KEF