[Antennaware] re vertical with metal roof as groundplane.

To: <antennaware@contesting.com>
Subject: [Antennaware] re vertical with metal roof as groundplane.
From: George Warnock <george_warnock@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 10:01:12 +0000
Hello.....thanks for the reply guy and the valuable insight enclosed...when I
posted the question I was a bit pushed for time and in hindsight left some
important details out, the roof size as you see 40x30 is not big enough to give
a proper ground for the band in question 40m, we live on a small holding 8 to 9
acres and the proposed workshop will have most of its footprint in that area of
what is farm land, the frontage hence entrance will be accessed from our
yard,there will be livestock on the surrounding land for most of the
summer...so to keep them back from the workshop there will be a stock proof
fence surrounding the structure....what I had proposed to do was to use the
surface of the roof for a groundplane as far as it allowed, and then continue
with wire radials following the angle of the roof and terminating at the ofore
mentioned fence....with that I could be flexible with the distance between
fence and workshop and hence the leangth of the radials....If I do not use the
roof as I initially proposed, in your estimation how many radials would be
needed to ensure good performance...that may seem a silly question as answers
to such questions are readily discussed on the net.....but I wonder will the
roof structure below the radials allow less radial usage, and there seems to be
an opinion that raised or elevated radials give better results..

reguards george

gi0vgl