[Antennaware] FW: FW: Fwd: Modelling yagi split DE

To: <antennaware@contesting.com>
Subject: [Antennaware] FW: FW: Fwd: Modelling yagi split DE
From: "Matt" <maflukey@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2014 22:38:38 -0500
FB Charlie - understand you want the 50 ohm match.   I have a pair of
stacked 4 element 20m beams on 26ft booms (yea - I know it's too short but
it's what I have...)  I optimize my 3-el or larger Yagi's for -25J ohm
reactance and then back off when the impedance starts to go south of about
20 ohms.   This seems to work very well for beta match, which is my
preferred method of feeding.   I like the fact that the beta grounds both
sides of the DE (I have some element tips with holes burned right through
them from lightning strikes - no other consequence).  I feed everything with
baluns so beta is not an issue.

With respect to optimization, I generally optimize for F/B over bandwidth
and forward gain usually falls right into place.  You don't mention if your
forward dbi is over real ground or free space ???

Matt
KM5VI