Re: [Antennaware] FW: FW: Fwd: Modelling yagi split DE

To: antennaware@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Antennaware] FW: FW: Fwd: Modelling yagi split DE
From: Charlie Ocker via Antennaware <antennaware@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2014 07:12:07 -0500
Hi Matt,

The gain is free space.

I am 100% on board with the merits of hairpin matching. My other homebrew yagi, a 5el 15m, is hairpin matched.

I have another optimization set of results for my 20m yagi that uses the hairpin match. Overall, it is slightly better in gain and F/R. It looks like an OWA, too, with D1 close to DE. The vswr bandwidth is excellent, covering the whole 20m band less than 1.3 to 1.

I have played around with YO enough to observe that no matter what parameters I adjust, or the weights that I apply to them, that gain seems to always occur. One of my runs that gave very good results, I set the gain weight to 5%, the F/B at 50%, and SWR at 45%.

Regarding your 20m stack - nothing wrong with that setup! Paul, W0AIH, uses a 4 stack of 204BA's as his main 20m antenna. They work very well.

I found a technical paper on the internet written by a university professor that describes very well the math behind the hairpin (beta) match, and how to use a modelling program to estimate the parameters needed. I wrote a spreadsheet that uses these equations and methods, and I can quickly zero in on a hairpin match using the "Source Data" feature of EZNEC. I would be happy to share it if there is any interest.

73,
Charlie  N9CO