Wrist Rocket safety tip

Subject: Wrist Rocket safety tip
From: kl7ra@icefog.gcgo.nasa.gov (Gilmore Creek Geophysical Observatory)
Date: Wed Jun 15 02:43:33 1994
Just a little reminder that the "wrist rocket" is not user friendly
at 40 below zero. I know, not a big problem for those of you that
live in the life zone on earth. Many years ago when I was stupid
and thought I could work stations on 80 meters during the World
Wide I bought a "wrist rocket" to string up a vertical wire in a
tree. I test fired the thing in my garage with one of the steelies
that came with it just pulling back a little and put a hole in my
garage door. Wow are they powerful! I then went out into 40 below
weather and selected the lucky tree that I could launch a spark
plug over. That started the clock running on the surgical tubing
they use for fire power. I shot the plug up and it went only about
30 feet. Humm.. Must not have pulled far enough back. Next shot I
pulled really hard and it went only 15 feet this time. The next try
I really hogged back on that sucker and the surgical rubber parted
where its attached to the aluminum tubing of the frame. The blow
staggered me back about two steps before I fell down in the snow
with the broken wrist rocket in one hand and the spark plug in the
other. I stared up at that tree thinking this wasn't such a good
idea before my eyes swelled shut. Don't use them at 40 below. 30
below is probably okay.
Rich KL7RA  Fairbanks Alaska          kl7ra@icefog.gcgo.nasa.gov