Hornet's Nest of Controversy...

Subject: Hornet's Nest of Controversy...
From: n0dh@comtch.iea.com (n0dh@comtch.iea.com)
Date: Wed Oct 18 21:25:13 1995

Somethings about WASP's I have learned over the years which may help.

They become relatively docile at night and they are all "on the nest" at that
time, also
since it is much cooler they are more sluggish and will not "swarm" in the
dark.

Here is a possible plan, proceed at your own risk!

1) Put on some protective clothing, including Hat , gloves, medium wieght coat
etc. A
piece of fine netting over the hat and your head tucked in the jacket collar
would be a nice touch.

2) Well after dark climb the tower  shine the light on the WASPS at the last
minute,spray quickly with your Bug spray, then quickly turn off the light.

3) At this point WAIT ! If you climb down now the dying WASPs will likely fall
on you.
Just stay put and be very still for about 2 minutes.

4) Turn on the light again quickly after 2 minutes check for survivors . 2nd
sparying as required. If they are all gone then quickly pull down the nest
and carefully climb down.

I have used this approach for hornet and yellow jacket nests in eves and trees
with success.

Thee only thing I dont like is having you climb the tower in the dark but it
is the only time that I know they will all be there and they will be
relatively inactive.

You could also wait till this winter then the problem will solve itself

Dave
N0dh