Hornet's Nest of Controversy...

Subject: Hornet's Nest of Controversy...
From: w9sz@prairienet.org (Zack Widup)
Date: Thu Oct 19 13:47:54 1995

>Gives a whole new meaning to "flame suit on".  At least it is comforting to
>know that most contest reflector types are already equipped to handle killer
>bees and wasp, since most have already had occasion to use their flame suits.
>
>W0UN
>John Brosnahan
>La Salle Research Corp      24115 WCR 40     La Salle, CO 80645  USA
>voice 970-284-6602            fax 970-284-0979           email broz@csn.net

I don't know about "flame suits" but those with this problem may have
beekeepers in their areas who would be willing to lend a bee suit. You
could wear this and be safe (or is it bee safe?) from the wasps and do
what you wish.
        That way, you would be ready for the next CONTEST!

73, Zack W9SZ

From: John Hunley <hunley@mti.com> (John Hunley)

> On Wed, 18 Oct 1995, Stan Griffiths wrote:
>

> > I had yellow jackets.  Close enough, I think.  Anyway, I was able to
> > carefully climb to about 12 feet below the nest without getting them
> > excited.  I then took a 12 foot piece of aluminum tubing with a rag tied to
> > the end of it and soaked with gasoline and lit it on fire.  (Makes a big
> > ball of flame for several minutes.)  I poked the flaming rag right up under
> > the nest and it rained yellow jackets.  It singes their wings and they can't
> > fly.  You have to dodge them as they drop.  You may burn a control wire or
> > two, but probably not.  It only takes a few seconds to do this.  I never got
> > stung.
>
> This sounds like one of those primitive South Pacific sacrificial rituals
> like one sees in old King Kong -type movies.  I wonder what the flame
> ratings are for Rohn towers??
>
> I would LOVE to be a fly on the wall at the neighbor's house while they
> watched you do this.  Hams seem to have this reputation..........
>
> Perhaps this could be a new competition for the hospitality suites at
> Dayton.  How many flaming bees can you dodge while hanging from a piece of
> tower while swinging a flaming torch.  Now that would be a CONTEST!

I wouldn't try this if you have Phillystran guys...

--

                            John Hunley
   Sr. Software Engineer                  Email:  hunley@mti.com

From: sneader@mail.ctenet.com (Scott Neader, KA9FOX) (Scott Neader, KA9FOX)
Subject: NA reflector?

W5ASP asked a few days ago if there was a reflector for K8CC's NA program.
I don't know if there is much activity on it, but there appears to be one.
I found the announcement on my web site (it follows this message)

I have info for these mailing lists on my site:
  * CQ CONTEST
  * VE7TCP DX
  * N6TR LOG
  * K1EA CT
  * K8CC NA / CONTEST VOICE BLASTER
  * QSL INFO
  * WF1B RTTY
  * 160M TOP BAND

If you don't have web capabilities, drop me a note and I will e-mail you
whatever you need.

73 - Scott, KA9FOX
e-mail: sneader@mail.ctenet.com
   web: http://www.infoanalytic.com/ka9fox/welcome.html

-----------------

Subj:  NEW NA Reflector
From:  k3lr@telerama.lm.com
Sender: owner-cq-contest@tgv.com
To: cq-contest@tgv.com

There is now a reflector to discuss NA Contest Software
and Contest Voice Blaster issues and questions.  Owners
of these products and interested parties are encouraged
to subscribe to this information exchange.

To sign up to the NA reflector send a message to:

na-user-request@eng.pko.dec.com

With the following text in the *body* of the message:

subscribe

To send a message to the NA reflector subsrcibers:

na-user@eng.pko.dec.com

K3LR will send hard copies of all NA reflector messages to K8CC
is not on Internet (yet).

If you have any questions, send me a message.

We'll see you on the NA reflector!

73,
Tim K3LR

K3LR@telerama.lm.com