Tower Help

Subject: Tower Help
From: n3rr@cais.cais.com (Bill Hider) (Bill Hider)
I disagree with K7LXC's comment re: 40M element.  I have used an A-4 with 40
M element since 1985.  It's at 55 ft and it plays like gangbusters compared
to a 40M dipole.

The key is the rotatability and the null off the ends of it, not the gain.
Of course it doesn't have the gain of a dipole, but these other two
attributes more than make up for that.  It's not gain that you need, it's
the ability to point the antenna at the station you're talking to (or trying
to talk to) and provide some rejection in the other directions.  A single
fixed dipole just don't do that (except in two directions). Especially if
you don't have the supports for multiple horizontal dipoles and a switching
arrangement for them!

If you have an A-3 or A-4 you already have the rotating base for the 40M
element.  If you then have the space to rotate it, it works FB!  (My
experience only).

By the way, the Cushcraft catalog specifies the sq ft wind load of the 40M
kit.  I don't remember what it is right now.

73!

Bill, N3RR

PS: I have NO affilliation or other relationship with Cushcraft or any other
antenna manufacturer.  These comments are my own opinion based upon my
experiences.

Bill