Soliciting Contest QSOs on Packet

Subject: Soliciting Contest QSOs on Packet
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@ix.netcom.com> (Pete Smith)
As I write this, the East Coast packet network is alive with "spots" in the
CQ 160 Contest.  Some stations are spotting themselves, pleading for QSOs,
while others are spotting their friends, or fellow club members.

I've just read the rules, which are quite vague on this subject.  Is it OK
to solicit for yourself on packet if you're a multi-op, because you can use
packet to get spots on other people?  What about single ops?

Seems to me that the intent of the rule on the use of packet, spotting nets,
etc. is to regulate the use of external assistance in finding other people
to work, not to permit solicitation of QSOs via a different band... kind of
like moving people from packet to 160.

I don't blame people currently for using this technique, because there is no
rule against it.  But should there be?
73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr@ix.netcom.com