Clg QSOs via Packet and others...

Subject: Clg QSOs via Packet and others...
From: n3rr@cais.cais.com (Bill Hider) (Bill Hider)
At 03:22 PM 2/25/96, py2ny@sp-gw.py2bjo.ampr.org wrote:
>N4ZR wrote about packet use to call people band to band.
>This isn't the only problem with packet use and other bad tips, specially in my
>area.
>I  can't accept packet use to spot myself. Even if rules avoid this way, people
>wiil try to get other person spotting his call to get multipliers on the bands.
>All problems related by N4ZR had no easy solutions... Rules isn't the matter HI
>HI. I know that many hams here are fighting like Single Operator no-assistance,

>but  I  can  see them on DX CLuster.

There is a feature of PacketCluster (tm) that allows you to be connected and
yet only PUTOUT spots but not receive them. Any SYSOP can initiate this for
a user station. (I used this feature for many years while a single-op
single-band 20 M in the ARRL DX CW contests).

CT also allows single ops (UNassisted) to provide spots to the cluster and
does not send spots to the single op.  (I used this in the recent CQ160 CW
contest).

Either way, the station would show up on the PacketCluster (tm) as being
connected.  So, let's be careful when analyzing these types of situations.

Bill, N3RR