Seemingly endless CQing

Subject: Seemingly endless CQing
From: jfeustle@UOFT02.UTOLEDO.EDU (jfeustle) (jfeustle)
Having pulled a number of "garbage" shifts (Saturday and Sunday mornings) at
WD9INF I'd like to offer that the CQing is far from "endless" in my
experience. Competitors will hear us CQing, at least I hope they will, but
at 10 in the morning it is highly doubtful that they will hear those
stations close by to us that DO--emphasis mine--come back to our CQs.
Northwest Ohio and southeast Michigan are boring places, so lots of people
get up late 'cause there ain't a whole heck of a lot of things to do. Since
the final score is related to the total number of Qs, and as this is a
COMPETITIVE event, why put a clamp on those ambitious enough to go for every
QSO they can get? It doesn't make sense.

Now, suppose one of the sponsors bites on this idea, and in my mind it's an
idea that bites. Who enforces the rule? You can't have real rules without
some degree of enforcement to give them credibility. I can just hear it now:
"This is your eleventh (thirteenth, seventy-fifth?) QSO on this frequency
OM...." By whose count do we go? How many witnesses (witlesses?)do we need
to disqualify people who do 10.5 CQs, or 11? Ah, enforcement, that lovely
word. I may not be able to compete with you, so I'll just try to reduce your
competitive advantage.

I mean no disrespect to Tree (no undocumented features in my next copy of
TR-Log, please), but the suggestion of limitations like this has all the
flavor of sour grapes.

Joe Feustle, N8AAT

Joseph A. Feustle, Jr.
The University of Toledo