August CQ and QST out

Subject: August CQ and QST out
From: HENRYPOL@aol.com (HENRYPOL@aol.com)
Date: Thu Jul 18 00:41:37 1996
Made a stop by the PO box on way home between the thunderstorms that were
passing through the Raleigh area.  I was surprised to find both CQ and QST
had arrived since my last trip Monday morning.

My tree limb-hanging 4 element 10 monobander survived all the winds from
Bertha.

I was somewhat disappointed in CQ.  K2EEK (editor) had stated in an earlier
issue (June 96) that the August issue would be an "Antenna Special".
 Remembering all of the annual antenna issues from Ham Radio and CQ in the
past, I was anxiously awaiting this issue (keeping my fingers crossed, hoping
that K4PC would not do another Half-Square, re 9/92 & 9/94, or Lazy-H, re
4/92 & 3/95, article).  So, imagine my disappointment when I turn through
this issue looking for those antenna feature articles and DON'T FIND ANY!
(except for one on antenna guying).  There's not even an antenna on the front
cover!  Plus, there is no explanation in the editorial.  Even Bill Orr's
column did not address any antennas.

OK, now that I have got that off my chest, what's in this issue of CQ:

Cover photo of contester K2TR in his shack (nothing covered-up by a sheet,
this time) with some details on the table of contents page.  Sounds like he
has an impressive antenna farm (could have been a great antenna issue front
cover!).

Contest related articles: Results of 95 CQ WW RTTY DX Contest; Rules for 96
RTTY Contest; Build a Snap-On RF Current Probe; The Guying Problem, A
Calculator Approach; 96 CQ 160 Meter Contest High-Claimed Scores; and Contest
Calendar column - pile-up timing and Contest Hall of Fame inductions
(congrats to OH2MM, K4VX, & K3EST).

Other interesting items: FCC Responds to Amateur Concerns Over Little LEO

Regular columns: Math's Notes - primer on rechargable batteries; VHF Plus -
FCC proposal targets 2 meters; Radio FUNdamentals - reverse telephone
interference; Doug's Desk - overview of small parts and kits; World of Ideas
- mobiling 96 Part II (HEY, there's some antenna stuff here!); Packet User's
Notebook - antennas & digital RF communications (more antenna stuff; so this
"antenna issue" is not a total lose); DX  - using beacons; Propagation -
sunspots continue to decrease.

Interesting ads:  Yeasu's new compact HF transceiver, FT600; new ad from AEA;
K6STI's DSP Blaster; a boom mic headset for $45; and Raibeam has antennas
that "eat yagis for lunch" (wonder what they have for breakfast? quads? :-)
).

Now, on to the latest issue of QST....

Nothing directly related to ham radio in front cover photo of a river
paddleboat and bridge (wait a minute!, maybe this is a recent Field Day site,
that bridge was possibly used as a Beverage antenna for 160, or the boom for
a 80/160 yagi, and the river current turned the paddle wheel which was
connected to a generator; WOW!).

Contest related articles: Correspondence - Too Many Contests-Not; Install a
House-Bracketed Tower - the right way; Hints & Kinks - Make High Quality
Ladder Line at Home; and Results 96 ARRL RTTY Roundup.

Other interesting items: Quadrifilar Helix Antenna (anyone tried one of these
on 160 or 80 yet? :-) ); Intermod - A Modern Urban Problem; Underground
Radio; and review of the BayGen Freeplay Windup Radio (no batteries needed;
looks like the perfect gift for the ham who already has every other kind of
radio :-) ); An Aeronautical Antenna Farm; Product Reviews - Alinco DR-M06 /
Azden PCS-7500H 6-meter FM rigs and K6STI's RITTY 1.0 Program; and more...

Ads: Two page ad from Kenwood titled In-Depth Look At IF-DSP - TS-870S.

OK, its 11:30pm and I'm tired of typing, so that's all.  Notice that I have
not added my thoughts about WRTC-96.  A "tongue-in-cheek" posting is being
formulated.

73 and good reading,
Henry Pollock - WB4HFL
henrypol@aol.com