ARRL CAC input sought

Subject: ARRL CAC input sought
From: albraun@socketis.net (albraun@socketis.net)
Date: Thu Aug 1 18:00:06 1996
rdidonna@tacarlson.com wrote:

>With respect to the ten minute rule, I think that it should be
>disposed of in favor of the 6 QSY/hour idea.  I think that moving
>a mult is a very vital and useful tool during contests.  The 10
>minute rule allows for that to occur just once - with the penalty
>that the frequency on which the mult was originally worked is ceded.

I agree with this completely.  The 10-minute rule is a real hindrance to
a m-s moving to 10 or 160 since you frequently can't count on enough
activity (other than the mult you want to move or the one station you
hear calling cq) to make it worth spending 10 minutes there.  This was a
real pain for me in the ARRL DX contest from V3 last spring.

>Additionally, can't rubber clocking simply be judged by comparing
>submitted logs of other stations?  I'm sure that if a multi-single
>was doing such a thing, there would be at least one station worked
>duing the "rubber period" who would turn their log into the sponsor
>...How 'bout stiffer penalties for rubberized times - say 5 qso's
>for every rubberized one.

This is based on the obviously faulty assumption that everyone resets
their pc (or desk) clock to WWV just before starting a contest, and
that everyone's pc clock runs exactly on time.  It would hardly be fair
to hit someone this hard simply because the person he worked hadn't
set their clock right and it was 3-5 minutes off from the other guy's!

* Alan Braun MD, NS0B/V31EV *Internet: albraun@socketis.net       *
* Jefferson City, MO        *Packet: NS0B@N0LBA.#cemo.mo.usa.noam *