Follow-up message from a "frisky dog"

Subject: Follow-up message from a "frisky dog"
From: smlondon@lucent.com (smlondon@lucent.com)
Date: Thu Aug 8 08:35:15 1996
On Aug 7,  1:30am, WOVERBECK@ccvax.fullerton.edu wrote:

N6NB, in his infinite wisdom, says ...

> Also, as a former communications
> attorney I seriously question the suggestion that these
> rules will cause angry neighbors to file a bunch of lawsuits.
> No sane lawyer is going to take such a case on a contingent
> fee, and darned few neighbors can afford most lawyers' hourly
> rates.  Besides, our neighbors don't even know about this:
> it's been virtually ignored by the popular press.

1)  I'll bet more than a few of us have neighbors who are lawyers.  For those
lawyer-neighbors, the incremental cost of sueing the neighbor-ham is next to
nothing !   All they have to do is a search in their NEXIS/LEXIS legal database
on "Amateur Radio" and the new RF exposure limits will present themselves.

2)  Wayne, you are incredibly naive to use non-ham neighbor ignorance as a
reason why we shouldn't worry about lawsuits.  My neighbors may currently be
ignorant about these RF exposure limits, but they certainly aren't stupid !
 All it takes is one informed neighbor (perhaps the neighbor-lawyer) to educate
the rest of the non-ham neighbors, and the neighborhood hams will be in BIG
legal trouble.

Wayne, maybe you should try a year or two of high-profile amateur radio
operation from suburbia before you present yourself as an expert in ham
radio-neighbor relations.

Steve London, N2IC/0
smlondon@lucent.com