Possible interference at a contest site.

Subject: Possible interference at a contest site.
From: jmellis@ihug.co.nz (Martin Ellis)
Date: Mon Aug 12 00:26:30 1996
ad4tu@esinet.net wrote:
> Gentlemen, what is the farthest that any of you have received
> substantiable RFI/TVI complaints from when operating 160-10M
> at high power?  If you have had problems at these (1000+ feet) please reply
> direct with the details.

Hi Pete AD4TU,

I have operated contests both in city locations and in the a farming
area.  My experience in the city is that if you run an HF linear,
it is impossible to avoid telephone, HiFi and probably TV interference
with the houses that are within say 100 feet of the antennas- and
perhaps 200 feet in the forward path of a yagi.

In the country you would be unlikely to cause interference
at 1000 feet unless
        (a)     You have excessive harmonic output.
    or  (b)     It is a very low signal area for TV (on the limit...).

I did get telephone interference at a farmhouse over 1000 feet away,
but the telephone wires were on poles accross my property,
so filters were needed.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards,

Martin ZL1ANJ