Nye Viking MB-V-A 3kw tuner.

Subject: Nye Viking MB-V-A 3kw tuner.
From: jmellis@ihug.co.nz (Martin Ellis)
Date: Fri Jan 17 00:52:31 1997
W8JITom@aol.com wrote:

>>I purchased a used MB-V-A, the unit had burned sections of tinned
>> copper braid between the terminals and the components.

> Braiding has much higher RF resistance that the same area smooth
> conductor. Measurements I made several years ago at 30 MHz on a new
> chunk of 1/2 inch wide copper braid indicated it had an RF
> resistance about equal to a number 12 wire.
> The resistance varies with the depth of the weave, cleanliness of the
> braid, and the mechanical pressure of the wire to wire connections
> in the braid.

Thanks for you comments, Tom.  Perhaps I should replace the braid
with teflon covered wire...not sure of the spec. but I have seen it
used in a high power 4:1 balun.  Where could I purchase this?

I have been pleased with the Viking MB-V-A, as I always get a
perfect match (only using coax to coax at present), and I have
removed a coax switch and PWR/SWR bridge from the desk.

I am interested in two comments you made recently about this model:

1.  The circuit is described a *pi* and uses a fixed cap. on the
TX side, variable inductor to ground, and variable cap. on the
antenna side.  I suppose this avoids having three variables to adjust.

You have said that it does't really operate as a pi on the lower bands?
I have found the harmonic attenuation to be excellent, and it has
enabled me to get a clean report from the local Radio Inspector
using a spectrum analyser.  Operating direct, the spectrum analyser
showed some low level output on 56MHz when I operated on 14Mhz (also
using a Bencher Lo-pass filter).

2. The limitation you mentioned was on the low bands into
a low impedance. I am planning a half wave dipole on 160M with
ladderline, and wish to also use it on 80M.
I will put an external balun outside the house, and bring coax to
the tuner (< 2m), and avoid using the balun in the tuner.
Do you think this will be successful?
Thanks for your comments,
Martin ZL1ANJ