Amps in LP tests?

Subject: Amps in LP tests?
From: aa4ga@contesting.com (Lee Hiers, AA4GA)
Date: Thu Jan 16 23:53:03 1997
On 16 Jan 97, K4RO - Kirk Pickering wrote:

> I'm curious how many other folks use amps in a low power contest
> such as the NAQP?

I don't, but have considered it to bring the 90 watt rig up to the
150 watt level allowed in some contests.

Actually, I think in some contests (the NAQP I thought) it's not
legal to use an amplifier to reach the max 150 watt level - the
intent of the power restriction is to use barefoot transceivers.
Now, y'all don't hang me if I'm wrong, this is just something I seem
to remember reading in the rules of some contest.

> The reason for this post is that I am curious how many other folks
> use their amps in these contests.  I have a 500w amp, but will probably
> not ever use it in NAQP, because everything is automatic except the amp.
> Using the amp would slow things down and eliminate the 'automatic' in
> my band/antenna swithching arrangement.  Now if I had a solid state or
> auto-tune amp of some sort... that might be a different story.  My rig
> can put out 100w all day long, and I wonder if I'd see any real
> difference going to 150w output.  I wonder why the low power tests
> have the limit at 150w when 95% of xcvrs are 100w output.

Well, the difference between 100 watts and 150 watts is exactly the
same difference between 1000 watts and 1500 watts, no?  And most of
the big dogs will tell you that there is a definite difference
between 1k and legal limit.

> Guess this is another reason to have a 200W output xcvr. :-)

Absolutely.  That's one of the reasons I'd rather have a plain
FT-1000 over an 'MP!

73 Y'all!

--
Lee Hiers - AA4GA