LOW POWER IN CONTESTS

Subject: LOW POWER IN CONTESTS
From: K7SV@aol.com (K7SV@aol.com)
Date: Fri Jan 17 09:12:57 1997
The ability to quickly switch bands with modern transceivers is part of what
makes the NAQP attractive.  The low power class also attracts some of us that
restrict our operation to low power for a variety of reasons.  A few years
ago I stopped operating altogether after problems with neighbors and tvi/rfi
while running fairly high power (pair of 3-500Z).  After moving to this qth,
my family was very concened when I decided to
get back on the air.  My decision at that time was to stick with low power.
 I've had a ball in the DX contests because my take off is excellent from
north to south by way of east.  I can run Eur with low power.

I've enjoyed the NAQP's and do fairly well.  Now the discussion of using
amplifiers to get the 150 watter power level comes up.  There is no doubt in
my mind that Jim K4OJ holds his to 150W.  It seems to me that it would make
sense if  the low power category in all contests was defined as 100W.  I say
that because many of the troops run low power because high power is out of
financial reach.  Transceivers in the 150-200 watt class are also out of
reach.  The majority of ops are using the 100 W class rigs, so why not put
everyone on a level playing field where it can easily be done.  If someone
has a good argument against my logic, I'm always willing to listen.
This is one way of telling newer and less fortunate contesters that we want
them to play with us and we'll make a small concession to make the playing
level a little more level.  (I realize it's impossible to to level the
playing field, but this should be a
painless way of getting it a bit closer).

73 de Larry K7SV   k7sv@aol.com