[CQ-Contest] contesting in the 21st century

Subject: [CQ-Contest] contesting in the 21st century
From: CP2235@aol.com (CP2235@aol.com)
Date: Fri Jul 18 06:08:53 1997
K3PP WROTE

>Uh oh!  Now we're REALLY looking to get into the 21st century!  I'll have
>to make sure my DHCP server is up and running before the CQWW!

>Seriously, I agree that TCP/IP networks will play a big part in the future
>of ham radio and contesting.  We already make heavy use of the Internet to
>augment our hobby (this reflector, for example).  I agree with Dave about
>the need to interface every aspect of the station to a REAL network, not
>just some COM ports tied together.  This takes ham radio's use of Internet
>technology to a whole new level.  Those who saw the Kachina XCVR at Dayton
>witnessed the next step in this evolution of centering the station around
>the computer.  They definitely have the right concept for future radios.
>Look for MUCH more of this in the next few years.

>I envision all intelligent components of the shack (hmm, does that include
>the operator?) connecting together via Ethernet, each with its own IP
>address and running network agents to communicate properly with all the
>other components.  Just put a 10BaseT connector on the back of the XCVR
>and include the proper software in the radio.  This is another argument
>for the Kachina-like approach.  Let the computer handle the network
>connection and the necessary software.  Software updates can be a breeze.

>This concept can be expanded outside the shack over the Internet.
 Contesters
>can link together over the Internet and do all kinds of real-time checking
>of dupes and busted calls based on the other guy's log.  The contest sponsor
>can tie in and keep track of everyone while the contest is in progress.
>Contest clubs can communicate even better than they do now via the cluster.
>When the contest is over, all submissions will be completed automatically
>as the contest progressed and the winners will be known immediately!

>How's this for another one?  Quite the pie-in-the-sky thing, but clearly
>possible now that technology has evolved far enough.

>19. An option for full voice controlled remote operation (not just VOX).
>    Imagine the control head of the rig integrated with a cordless Heil
>    headset.  You control the rig using programmable voice commands.
>    You can move about the house and continue the contest. You can even
>    run to the john without missing a QSO!  Some of THOSE QSOs may sound
>    a bit funny!  QSOs will be logged automatically while you are away
>    from the operating position.  Think of the possibilities with such
>    remote control!  Now, if we can only figure out how to continue to
>    contest while sleeping.  In keeping with the Ethernet vision, this
>    control "head" can use wireless Ethernet to communicate with the main
>    transceiver and computer.  This way we maintain a standard for all
>    communications, rather than yet another interface for the "head"set.

>Again, this is all very futuristic but that is, after all, the focus of
>this thread.  Besides, we have all the technology to do all of this
>RIGHT NOW.  It's just a matter of someone with time and resources putting
>it all together.

If that is contesting in the 21st century count me out. Of course I agree it
would be a lot easier to update transceivers by just updating the software.
But for all the rest - I just dont get it  - where is the fun? Or maybe it is
a problem of defining the fun in another way. Nowadays contesting still is
something like a SPORT event. Thats where I get the fun from. Seems like in
the 21st century all the fun has to come from playing around with ridiculous
software-solutions FOR EVERYTHING (even going to the john). Well seems like I
have to leave then. Not the kind of fun I am into. I like technics but I am
not crazy. I often read the phrase "it aint broke so dont fix it". Seems like
one might apply this phrase to this approach of "fixing" todays contesting
"problems" as well...?

Why does nobody try to convince for example golf-players that they would have
more fun if the played not out in the field but in a "virtual golf course"
100% computer controlled - just put them cyber masks on your head...

Nothing personal against Glen

73 Con DF4SA

Cornelius Paul        DF4SA           CP2235@aol.com

 -