[CQ-Contest] contesting in the 21st century

Subject: [CQ-Contest] contesting in the 21st century
From: gdo@aloft.micro.lucent.com (Glenn D. O'Donnell)
Date: Mon Jul 28 12:45:41 1997
K1TTT writes:

> how, the real discussion should be:  do we place blinders around our use
> of the most modern technology and limit ourselves to navigating on paper
> charts with sextants, or do we continue pushing technology into the
> future?

As a prime instigator of this thread, let me add just one more analogy and
then I'll shut up (wait, I'm a ham, that's impossible!).  We must absolutely
continue to push technology, but there's a practical limit to its application.

My analogy:  A marathon runner cannot drive his car to the finish line.
Only his legs can propel him.  He can train with all kinds of whiz-bang
technology and he can wear shoes of ultra-efficient design.  These shoes
may not have wheels (i.e. roller-blades) nor can he artificially enhance
his performance using drugs.

Good rules for marathoners.  Let's add that to the excellent analogy of
sailing.

73 de Glenn, K3PP