[CQ-Contest] Some Contest-Rule Topics

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Some Contest-Rule Topics
From: jayt@comtch.iea.com (Jay Townsend)
Date: Mon Jul 14 16:56:56 1997
Richard J Norton wrote:

> 1) Should QRP and/or low-power category entrants call stations using
> high-power, and ask them to listen for their QRP/low-power signal?

If a QRP uses high-power for any purpose then it should be reclassified as
high power. The analogy would be using 1500 watts to break the pile-up for
a mult and then work it with 150 watts.

> 3) Should single-band category entrants move contacts and/or multipliers
> to their band from other bands?

No.

As to rules and the publishing thereof. If they aren't published then how
would one know what is or isn't fair. Its kind of like in some contests
you can enter M/M as a Single Operator and win a plaque or a certificate.
Since it isn't prohibited by rule its clearly OK. I have seen lots of
entries of XX5XX and Cluster or the dog or ....The opposite is also done
lots of help (antennas, rigs, food, repairs) in a Single Operator class.

But I must admit I'll be darned if I will buy a book to explain what
someone's interpertation of the "rules" might be. All this for a piece of
wallpaper or a plaque....

I think there should be added to all contests a basic rule. If you have to
ask or think its not fair then it isn't. This would handle your two above
questions. QRPers running power to solicit....and Single Banders scouting
and moving...

Or you could add the BL rule..if the rules don't say no...then its OK...go
for it.....

--
Jay Townsend, WS7I  < jayt@iea.com >

 -