[CQ-Contest] M/S questions

Subject: [CQ-Contest] M/S questions
From: dieven@email.msn.com (Dick Dievendorff)
Date: Wed Nov 5 16:15:09 1997
Henry:

Yours is not the common interpretation.   The applicable part of the CQWW
rules reads:

C. Multi-Operator Categories (all band operation only).
     1. Single Transmitter, only one transmitter and one band
permitted during any 10 minute period defined as starting with the
first logged QSO on a band.  Exception: One-and only one-other band
may be used during any 10 minute period if-and only if-the station
worked is a new multiplier. Logs found in violation of the 10
minute rule will be automatically reclassified as multi-multi.

The phrase beginning with "Exception" permits the 20 meter operator to make
the new-multiplier QSO CONCURRENT WITH the 40 meter operators run.  The two
transmitters may be keyed concurrently.

I agree with you that this isn't strictly "single transmitter" in the
obvious sense of the phrase.  It's one of the quirks of CQWW that makes
contesters' lives interesting!   I would argue that what is permitted is
what the rules actually say, not what the common-sense interpretation of
"single transmitter" means.

OIher contests have different rules for their Multi-Single category.

I confess that it took me a few readings of the rules and a talk or two with
more experienced folks to understand.  I took it as a rite of passage, one
of contesting's "mysteries of the ages".

By the way, I have in the past operated multi-multi with two guys and two
radios simply because we didn't want to be constrained by the 10-minute rule
and wanted to be able to work anybody we came across.  We had a lot of fun
and made more QSOs and points and suffered less "QSO envy" than we would
have as multi-single.  We did very well for our country.

73 de Dick, K6KR
CQWW M/S operator at K6IDX and GB5CW