[CQ-Contest] Emergency Comm'ns & Perceptions

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Emergency Comm'ns & Perceptions
From: hwardsil@WOLFENET.com (Ward Silver)
Date: Tue Dec 30 08:17:12 1997
On Tue, 30 Dec 1997, W3CF wrote:

> One of the things that also helped was my involvement in local
> RACES/ARES. In fact > after a local emergency preparedness drill I had
> the township EOM stop by here > after I told him what the scenario was
> (3' snow/hvy winds/antennas down > everywhere/power out) and he actually
> saw all the different means of passing > emergency traffic that he
> didn't have access to and delared this station as > the Township
> Emergency Communications Center. He thought it would be easier > for him
> to bring over a trailer mounted generator and portable police/township >
> radio than for me to bring my gear to the township EOC.

I have occasionally made this point before, but participating in
emergency communications work is more than just good PR for contesters -
first of all, we're GOOD at the skills needed, and second, we have the
stations in place to do the job.

As my SK friend, W7AY, used to say, "It's a good way to give back to this
hobby to which we owe so much."

And finally, it's a feather in EVERY ham's cap when a zoning board,
hearing examiner, city council, etc. gets a close-up look at the good
things hams do; associating ham radio with benefits rather than nuisances.

One doesn't necessarily need to be an EC or team leader, but checking into
the local ARES or state emergency net now and then wouldn't hurt.

73, Ward N0AX
EC Team Victor - King County ARES