[CQ-Contest] Future for DOS programs

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Future for DOS programs
From: thompson@mindspring.com (David L. Thompson)
Date: Sat Jan 17 22:12:39 1998
Trey's note on running CT/TR et al on W95 machines made me a remember a
conversation I had just after new years with an associate.  The associate
is an advocate of DOS, but is now repeating the chilling news about the
future of DOS programs under W95 and especially 98.

DOS 7 is really not DOS but the underlying bootstrap for W95.  Many of the
old DOS commands (edit and dos shell for example) are gone.  According to
the micro soft technicans he spoke with in order to run DOS programs under
W95 you probably will need to keep a separate version of DOS 6.0+.  Micro
Soft is just as strong on eliminating DOS as they are in not supporting old
versions.  My associate gave two examples:  Try reading a Word for Windows 2
document in Word 7 (Office 7 or 97).  Unless you have Office 4.3 or 6 (WORD
6)as an interim step you can't!!!  Powerpoint only reads current version
documents.  And micro soft does not even provide conversion.

Altho you can find ways to run DOS programs under W95 and W NT this will
certainly end.....beware!!!!  Please guys lets get W95 programs on the
market...I like Logic for windows but don't want to use it in the contests.

Dave K4JRB