[CQ-Contest] Logging "QRP, or Mobile" contacts

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Logging "QRP, or Mobile" contacts
From: ddjones@nas.com (Dale Jones K5MM)
Date: Tue Mar 3 10:49:42 1998
 The idea of a DX station logging a callsign as 'QRP', or 'mobile', or
 'left-handed', or whatever may be desirable from the individual operating
 in the unusual/unique mode.  I submit that it is not possible for the
 DX operator to CONFIRM that the other operator is doing what he says he
 is doing.

 During my years in Europe and the Middle East, I often had stations
 DEMAND that I send the a QSL card that was marked 'QRP', or 'mobile'.
 This issue is:   How in the world can I confirm that the other operator
 is operating QRP, or Mobile, is using an underground antenna, or anything
 else that he is doing?  That station is asking the DX operator to confirm
 something that is not confirmable.

 A DX operator could confirm that you SAID you are QRP, or Mobile, or
 operating while standing on your head, or whatever.  But, if I were the
 DX operator I certainly would not CONFIRM that you are doing what you say
 you are doing.  That is for YOU to do.

 It is NOT the DX stations responsibility to confirm what you state you
 are doing.  That's YOUR responsibility.  It seems to me that it's
 irresponsible for awards to REQUIRE that your received QSL card must
 state something like QRP or mobile on it, and similarly require that the
 statement come from (in this example) the DX station or his QSL manager.

 It is surprising to me that an operator has the audacity to ask the DX
 station to confirm something that he cannot confirm with any certainty.
 That is something like asking the DX station to confirm that it's 35
 degrees celsius outside my home and I've got my air conditioner running
 here in the shack, or asking him to log my call sign down as WA5xxx/ILMK
 during our QSO. (ILMK is short-hand for 'I Love My Kids'. I don't think so.

 73
 Dale  K5MM