[CQ-Contest] Contesting, exchanges/frequency

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Contesting, exchanges/frequency
From: garyk9gs@solaria.sol.net (Gary Schwartz)
Date: Thu Mar 12 22:35:43 1998
On Thu, 12 Mar 1998, Jim White, K4OJ wrote:

> I enjoyed the ton of spots I saw in the ARRL DX but was appalled at some of
> what I saw spotted....callsigns which were obviously broken....some of them
> posted by stations which I would have thought would know better....

I operated primarily 20M this past weekend and noted that during "prime
time" to Europe on both Saturday and Sunday that the spotting of
busted calls was running anywhere from 25 to 30%.

What was even more annoying was the following type of spot:

DX 14000 HS0XXX   Just called me

This is REALLY useless since,

A)  I have no idea what frequency the station posting the spot is even on.
B)  It does not convey ANY useful information.
C)  The possibility of this information resulting in me actually WORKING
    this multiplier is pretty small.

It seemed to happen almost exclusively from large East coast M/S - M/M who
really should know better.

The first time or two it happened I grabbed the spot, only to have the rig
QSY to 14.000  .......not cool!  I generally either don't like to have the
packetcluster window open or have most of the comment field covered with
other windows in CT...too distracting.

When running stations at medium to higher rates I like to let the software
determine if I need the multiplier, not have to look at the cluster screen.

73,
Gary K9GS
 /   FP/K9GS, TO5M   |Society of Midwest Contesters |____________________
(                    |   garyk9gs@solaria.sol.net   |                   /