[CQ-Contest] Contesting, exchanges/frequency

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Contesting, exchanges/frequency
From: kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale L. Martin)
Date: Sat Mar 14 08:15:02 1998
WL7E said:
> I recall about 20 years ago when I became a ham I was
>listening to a "huge dx pileup." I sent my call (then KL7IB),
got a "599"
>report, but never got the call. I was so disappointed as I
thought I had
>missed a really good dxcc. I did note that qso in my paper logs
at that
>time. Low and behold, I got a card one day a few years later
with the exact
>date and time of that qso. It was with an 8J0 station which was
only a
>special event station in Japan itself. Geez, I spent all that
thinking I
>missed a "big" one! I did appreciate the card from the 8J0 and
you can
>imagine how many JA cards a KL7 gets. But I won't go into the
qsling thread
>from a few weeks ago. Dan said it all.

Joe,

It works the other way, too.  Back in 1981, when I was living in
a subdivision with deed restrictions against antennas, all my (5)
dipoles were stuffed in the attic and I ran barefoot.  During a
contest, I was s&p'ing down on the low end of 15m and found a
clear spot and threw out a couple of CQ's for the fun of it.
JT0WA called me, we exchanged reports, and he went on his way.  I
wasn't sure about this at all.  I had even asked him for a repeat
of his call to be sure I had it right.  I just knew it would turn
up later as a pirate.  I even suspected a co-member or two of
TDXS having a hand in this (shades of ZP0BB!).

A couple of months later--FAST, by QSL Bureau standards--I
received a card from Jiri, OK1DWA confirming the QSO while he was
operating as JT0WA in Mongolia.

Anything can happen in a contest.

73,
Dale, kg5u