[CQ-Contest] CQ-WPX..A Modest Proposal

Subject: [CQ-Contest] CQ-WPX..A Modest Proposal
From: aa8u@modempool.com (Bruce Lallathin)
Date: Thu Apr 2 11:40:24 1998
Hello Lew and my fellow contesters, de AA8U:

I have found over the years that contesting can be much more fun and
interesting if I compete with myself.

Many have observed that stations in this geographic location (some call it
the black hole) can not effectively compete with one coast or another, or
some other lame excuse depending on the format of any particular contest.
Ok, well this might be true at times. Why should I let such seemingly
insurmountable obstacles spoil my fun? In short I don't.

The fun for me is to participate, compete, improve my station and skills.
When it is all over, I determine my success, or lack of it, by whether I
had fun and to what extend I reached my personal goals in the event.

Sure, it is fun to see my call in the final listings and a box score is
also neat. But, did I have fun doing it? Yes, I can say I always do. I
doubt I will ever "beat" a KC1XX but to me that is of little importance.

So, you can change the rules, shorten or lengthen the event, tweak it all
you like. I'll read and obey the published rules and compete with some
vigor and much delight. When you come across me in the contest doing as
best I can, just keep in mind that my best competition is my last effort,
not you.

Have fun! I will.

73 to all,
Bruce