[CQ-Contest] CQ-WPX..A Modest Proposal

Subject: [CQ-Contest] CQ-WPX..A Modest Proposal
From: dave@egh.com (David Clemons)
Date: Fri Apr 3 15:04:43 1998
Hi all,

        OK, this has to be the best and most interesting discussion
I've seen for awhile on the contest reflector.  I want to propose a
couple possible solutions for those advocating the rules change.

        Consider this: it is too late to get any changes done for the
rules this year.  Furthermore, probably the best way to get such a
change considered is to prove it to be effective and popular.  I have
three thoughts that come to mind as to how you all can do this:

            1.) those of you who want a 24 hour format, get
                together and make a pact.  That pact will be that
                you will only operate 24 hours.  All such operators
                should let their intentions be known to the reflector
                in general.  Someone on the reflector needs to volunteer
                to be the "moderator", accumulate the claimed scores,
                and also check them against the published scores in CQ
                about 11 months later.  (All operators will submit
                their logs to CQ Magazine.)  The downside to this is
                that a lot of famous operators are going to be lower in
                the standings (as published by CQ Magazine) than many of
                their less experienced neighbors, who will be operating
                the maximum allowable hours.

            2.) Instead, all who want to compete in this "showdown" will
                register with the "moderator", may operate the maximum
                allowable hours, but choose their best 24 hours and
                submit a score (to the "moderator") based on those 24
                hours.  (They will submit to CQ magazine the full log
                and request the score correction breakdown from CQ so
                the moderator can adjust the claimed scores accordingly.)
                The downside to this idea is that there is no skill in
                choosing the best 24 hours, only in choosing which of the
                maximum hours were operated.

            3.) Even better, all such competitors will not only register
                themselves with the "moderator" before the contest, but
                will also register their choice of the 24 hours at the
                same time.  (The "moderator" will make public the list
                of competitors, but keep private each competitor's choice
                of 24 hours.)  Go ahead and operate the maximum hours for
                the CQ Magazine listings, but only the predetermined 24
                hours counts for the purposes of this special competition.
                Logs should be sent to the moderator, and CW Magazine's
                score reductions should be requested and forwarded to the
                moderator as well.  The downside to this is that the 24
                hours to this competition are named before the contest
                and may not be changed due to solar disturbances or
                otherwise unexpected propagation.

        I like the idea of this competition even though I will be planning
on operating QRP, and therefore am not in the power class of any of those
mentioned.  (One power class makes sense unless we get a lot of
competitors.)  So, I consider myself an unbiased party and am willing to
handle the chores of the "moderator".  Do any of the above choices appear
to be workable?  (I think choice 3 is the best.)  Do we have anybody who
wants to compete this way (N5KO, K3MM, N5RZ, W7EW, how about all you silent
East Coasters, all of you I4's, etc)?  Let me know.  Perhaps we can set this
up for CQ WPX CW in May.  If it is really popular, the folks at CW will be
more likely to consider a rules change.  I'm sure that there are enough of
them on this reflector to know what we decide upon, and the "moderator"
might also submit a piece in writing to CQ that describes the event.  I
bet Steve N8BJQ or John K1AR (or both) would be happy to include it in
their columns.

        The guantlet was thrown down by Trey and others.  I am drawing the
line in the sand.  Any takers?

73, Dave Clemons K1VUT