[CQ-Contest] CQ-WPX..A Modest Proposal

Subject: [CQ-Contest] CQ-WPX..A Modest Proposal
From: w4an@contesting.com (Bill Fisher - W4AN)
Date: Sun Apr 5 15:16:21 1998
On Sat, 4 Apr 1998, Chuck wrote:

> Now you guys have suckered me in for my 2 cents worth.  I cannot believe that
> most contesters contest only to win.  A contest is a competition.  It is the
> competition that is fun.  Only one guy wins a marathon run, but virtually
> everyone enjoys it and has fun.  Finding out that you won 8 or 10 months later
> is just an ego trip.  The race against the rate meter during the contest is
> the
> fun!

 No Chuck you are missing the point COMPLETELY.  Please read my message
again.  My message states that Lew in W7 would like the opportunity to
compete with a W1 in the same contest.  Not BEAT a W1.  Under the current
system Lew is not competing with a W1.  Change the rules to 24 hours and
now you have Lew competing.  Maybe winning, maybe losing.  Either way,
Lew is happy to have the opportunity to at least compare scores with
someone in his peer group.

I dont mean to put words in Lew's mouth... I'm merely using him as an
example.

Again... Nobody said to change the rules so they could win.  That was not
said by anyone but you Chuck.

73

Bill