[CQ-Contest] The contest has ENDED !!

Subject: [CQ-Contest] The contest has ENDED !!
From: w4zw@home.com (Jon, W4ZW)
Date: Fri Jul 3 11:16:32 1998
I have to agree with Dale on this issue.  I'm never concerned about being in
the top ten for anything 'cuz I just want to have fun so my comments are
disposable.  However, saying that, it seems to me that technology drives our
hobby and derivatively, contesting.  I can remember the paper and pencil
years, and the hours recopying logs so they could be read by someone other
than myself.  Computers, super check databases, and our experiences all
serve to improve our fun and make contesting a bit more enjoyable.  If we
want to go full bore and push the envelope, let's just omit the radio and do
the whole thing on the internet with automatic cksums and lightspeed
exchanges.  Will the playing field be level?  Not in this lifetime.  With
cable modems, my ISP is faster than yours, just as the big stations with
multiple towers, antennas, and huge investments in gear are going to beat me
everytime.

But, guys, I just love to contest for the fun of it when I can squeeze it in
between soccer, basketball, T-ball, or whatever else my kids are into.  This
is my hobby, not my life.

'nuff said.  Flame suit on.  Privately please.

Jon Hamlet, W4ZW
Casey Key Island, Florida

"A little bit of paradise in the Gulf of Mexico"

snip snip >  I promised myself I was DONE with this thread....having stated
my views