[CQ-Contest] Sending callsigns

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Sending callsigns
From: w9sz@prairienet.org (Zack Widup)
Date: Sun Jul 19 09:37:19 1998
On Fri, 17 Jul 1998, Kelly Taylor wrote:

> John et al,
>
> As a perennial S&Per, it seems to me that sending one's call after every
> Q is not only wise operating habit, it's common courtesy to the stations
> who may wish to call you.
>
> Soooooooo often, a (predominately so) DX station will run 10 guys before
> signing, ostensibly in the misguided belief that the 10 guys he might
> want to work already know who he is. In my mind, this is not only bad
> contesting practice, it's downright rude to expect either: passing
> stations to dump their call only to be told they are dupes, or stations
> to hang around for another nine Qs before figuring out who you are.
>
> 73 all,
>
> ve4xt

I once listened to a DX station running for 15-20 minutes on CW without
giving his callsign.  I decided to try the following, which worked:

A1DX: (completes last QSO) "QRZ?"
ME: "Z"
A1DX: "Z 5NN 500"
ME: "5NN IL"
A1DX: "UR CALL?"
ME: "UR CALL?"
A1DX: "A1DX"
ME: "A1DX W9SZ 5NN IL"
A1DX: "W9SZ TU QRZ?"

Unfortunately, he just went back to running without signing his call again.

73, Zack W9SZ