[CQ-Contest] Re: NAQP Power

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: NAQP Power
From: w2up@mindspring.com (Barry Kutner)
Date: Fri Aug 14 02:20:25 1998
On 13 Aug 98,, AD6E@aol.com <AD6E@aol.com> wrote:

> Hi again Tom,
>
> I found a real expert in this field: AE0M works in the hearing aid industry
> and is well versed in the human hearing field.  Tony told me that for
> unrelated voice applications (such as telephones) there probably needs to be 2
> or 3 dB difference to be able to say that one is louder than the other.
> However, for a "trained ear", and that probably includes all of us, it is very
> possible to distinguish strength differences betweens two tones in a noisy
> environment with only a few tenths of a dB difference.  I that means it really
> does makes a difference between running 100W and 150W after all. Guess I'm
> lucky no one took me up on that challange... hi

Al - You are forgetting about the effect of AGC. I presume most, if
not all, of us use the AGC almost all the time. Since this pretty
much equalizes the audio level of what we hear, the small power
differences shouldn't make a difference.
73 Barry
Newtown, PA         FRC         alternate: barry@w2up.wells.com