[CQ-Contest] QRZ without giving call

Subject: [CQ-Contest] QRZ without giving call
From: trey@kkn.net (Trey Garlough)
Date: Thu Mar 11 09:27:15 1999
>       Actually I intentionally dupe these jerks. Why should I be the only one
> whose time is wasted?

Who is wasting whose time?  You are the one sitting there, not moving
the dial, getting yourself frustrated.  Don't let yourself waste time
like that, and don't get yourself all worked up, just grab that big
knob in the middle of your rig and find someone else to talk to.

This is what I do.

However, if you *must* call the DX without knowing his callsign, and
you *must* ask him to give his call *now*, then K4BAI gives the best
advice.  Please give "CL?" then "599-04" (or whatever).  599-04
followed by the slightest pause is tantamount to "I HAVE NOTHING
FURTHER TO SAY."  At which point the DX station will probably send his
call, and you will be "doubling" with him.  And then you will be
cursing the lid, time-waster DX station for not signing his call, and
then in a fit of pique you will start sending "CALL?" on top of next
guy who is trying to work the DX.

Who is wasting whose time now?

Operating from the DX side, you would be truly astonished at the
number of people that yell "CALL?" on your frequency, even when you
are giving your callsign after *every single* QSO.

--Trey, N5KO