[CQ-Contest] Busted calls

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Busted calls
From: k8cc@ix.netcom.com (David A. Pruett)
Date: Wed May 5 21:34:20 1999
I'm really amazed at the people criticising log checking.  Not to be too
anal about it, but its pretty fundamental that if you did not get the QSO
information right, then a legitimate contest QSO did not occur.  Its simply
not enough that two stations were on the same frequency at the same time,
and both agree that they detected each other's RF.

I agree 100% with N6TR's position that penalties are required to deter
"guessing".  When entrants "guess" at the log data, they are claiming
credit for a QSO that they are not really sure of and daring the logchecker
to prove them wrong.  If you want no penalties, then lets take the position
that only the QSOs the logchecker CAN prove will count.  Of course, this
means only QSOs with stations that send in logs would count and that's
simply not acceptable.  Forgive me - I just finished a stint as a juror
today and the concept of "innocent until proven guilty" is still ringing in
my head...

I'm afraid that the griping about logchecking is mostly ego that one's
score is being reduced.  Hey, I cringe each time I see my score reduced
too, but it compels me to do better next time.  I see the battle of me vs.
the logchecker as a challenge.

73,

Dave/K8CC