[CQ-Contest] Busted calls

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Busted calls
From: n4bp@bc.seflin.org (Bob Patten)
Date: Thu May 6 05:42:17 1999
On Wed, 5 May 1999, David A. Pruett wrote:

> score is being reduced.  Hey, I cringe each time I see my score reduced
> too, but it compels me to do better next time.  I see the battle of me vs.
> the logchecker as a challenge.

I love this approach to log checking that ARRL started with Sweepstakes!
In the posting of SS results on the "Members Only" web page, I moved up
several positions compared to the postings on "3830" back in November.
Finally my attention to accuracy paid off, although I've still never made
the top 10 in SS (but getting pretty close!).  :-)
Keep up the log checking, ARRL!

           73,
                                   ,'' '',
     Bob Patten, N4BP              ( 0 0 )               Plantation, FL
________________________________oOOo-(_)-oOO___________________________________

                         E-Mail: n4bp@bc.seflin.org
              Web Page: http://wg104a.wh.uni-stuttgart.de/~n4bp
                     Brass Pounder BBS: (954) 472-7715

From: Jim White, K4OJ" <k4oj@tampabay.rr.com (Jim White, K4OJ)
Subject: [CQ-Contest] time for a massage?

familiar fodder on this reflector....

"After the contest is over I read the log and correct those obvious
typos. "

........and I could have massaged W70Y into W7OY like it shoulda been but I
chose not to succumb to that temptation...I feel it is too easy to also
notice that the biggest score in the contest suddenly has an A precedence in
your log and you "know" K1TO had to be a "B".

In my opinion (important point here) you have to decide to either look at
the log or not look at the log at all....perhaps the higher quality of log
checking will result in more "editing" post contest - I'd like to think it
will lead to better efforts at both copying and typing the other guy's
exchanges by all!

As long as all logs are checked evenhandedly under this system I see nothing
other than the better operator receiving the rewards of his efforts....on
the other hand if one log is picked apart by a computer program and another
is not and that other log is elevated in the standings due to no reduction
of score then we have a problem.

I like to look at last years SS as a starting point - I for one will be
focusing more on my logging accuracy this fall now that I know just how
badly I did in 98...a far cry from losing one QSO - my previous years change
from claimed to printed!

As long as we are checked equally thoroughly - no problemo...this is
something a non emotional machine can do well....if it is wrong, it is
wrong - PERIOD!

".......yeah, but you know I copied it write I just typed it wrong...you
know it was an O and not a 0, no callsign has two numbers in it"  W1NER

KE3Q and I should ask K1TO and K0RF to buy us drinks next weekend!

73,

Jim, K4OJ
k4oj@tampabay.rr.com

Special thanks to everyone who operated in the 1999 Florida QSO Party 1999,
hope you had as much fun as we did!

The Florida Contest Group sponsors the Florida QSO Party, check out the FQP
website@:
http://home1.gte.net/wd4ahz/fcg/ssqp.htm

Proud member of the Florida Contest Group - visit our website at:
http://www.4w.com/deemer/fcg.htm