[CQ-Contest] Busted calls

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Busted calls
From: w9sz@prairienet.org (Zack Widup)
Date: Thu May 6 18:27:12 1999
On Thu, 6 May 1999 TOMK5RC@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 5/6/99 1:28:03 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
> k8cc@ix.netcom.com writes:
>
> << I agree 100% with N6TR's position that penalties are required to deter
>  "guessing" >>
>

> Agreed, but let's play devil's advocate for a moment. Since technology now
> allows greater log checking accuracy, will not it beget an expanded use of
> data bases to sterilize logs? I merged my last two years worth of logs (about
> 9,000 QSO's) and sorted it alphabetically so my wife can answer QSL's for me
> (she's a saint). Viola! A quick scan shows a wealth of information like,
> names, checks and the occasional miscopied data. Since this is all data I
> copied (except for a guest op here and there), why would I not use this
> information to ensure my own copying accuracy in the future? Is it acceptable
> to put this data in a lookup table to use during a contest?

What's to keep someone from getting on and working a few hundred
stations in a contest with a nonexistent callsign, just to pull a fast one
on everyone? That person obviously wouldn't send in his logs  :-)

A few years ago in the All-Asia contest someone showed up and worked
close to 50 stations (at least) using the call 4S7AX. As near as I can
find out, there was no legally licensed 4S7AX. (I still need it for a new
DXCC country!)

> By the way, I like cute phonetics.
>
> Tom, K5 Really Cute

Me too.