[CQ-Contest] Working Dupes [PLUS more]

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Working Dupes [PLUS more]
From: mgilmer@gnlp.com (Gilmer, Mike)
Date: Wed Dec 15 14:31:11 1999
On Wednesday, December 15, 1999 1:40 PM, Pete Smith
[SMTP:n4zr@contesting.com] wrote:
> It seems to me that there is a very sound convention for dealing with this
> that is widely practiced.  If somebody comes back with your call
correctly,
> DON'T repeat your call, ever.  If he gets it slightly wrong, send your
call
> once during the next transmission.  If conditions are demanding, maybe
twice.

> The same really goes for S&P ops - give your call once only when calling
> someone.  You'll have another chance to correct if the running station
> doesn't get it right, and if he does get it the first time you both save
time.

One problem I've experienced:

DX: CQ DX
ME: N2MG
DX: N2#$*#&  5915

So, you aren't sure if he got it right. If I hear what sounds like my call
but I'm not sure, sometimes I don't come back at all, but usually I send
"QRZ?".  This is because if I send just "?" he may only send the report and
not my call.  I'd like to hear a better way...

> Another related question, as someone who is just learning how to run after
> years of S&P with inferior antennas --
>
> Is it better, on average, when working through a pileup, if you can't copy
> a full call, to:
>
> 1.  reply with a fragment of the call and send the exchange -- e.g. "AVK
> 5NN WV"
>
> or
>
> 2.  send the fragment plus "?" and get the fill before sending the
exchange.

I've found too many cases where the "AVK 5NN" gets a "R 5NN 15" and no
callsign.  When you then send something like "?AVK?" you get "QSL" (IF he's
still there!) or if you send "AVK CL?" the pileup sometimes restarts.  Since
the pileup rhythm is broken no matter what, I'd rather break it at the start
of the QSO with your version #2 and never send any report until the callsign
is correct.

Mike
N2MG