[CQ-Contest] ARRL 10M rule violations

Subject: [CQ-Contest] ARRL 10M rule violations
From: kharker@cs.utexas.edu (Kenneth E. Harker)
Date: Wed Dec 15 14:49:30 1999
On Wed, Dec 15, 1999 at 03:05:29PM -0500, W2CE@aol.com wrote:
> tgstewart@pepco.com writes:
>
> >  A)  The rules state that 28300 to 28350 is a "no-contest" area, yet the
> >  segment was loaded with DX stations calling CQ contest.   They did not
> >  get an answer from K3MM this past weekend.  Hey, I think it's a stupid
> >  rule...but rules are rules.
>
> I didn't check the rules but I was under the impression that USA could not
> call CQ in that portion but that others could. That interpreation being based
> upon the relocation of LU novices and other areas to use of that portion. Was
> there an actual determination announced.

This was the relevant rule in force for the 1999 contest.  The entire rules
are on-line at (http://www.arrl.org/contests/announcements/rules-10m.html).

6. Miscellaneous:
  6.4 The frequencies from 28.3 through 28.35 MHz are designated as a
      non-contest window. Stations may not call CQ contest in this window.

There was nothing in the rules to indicate that this did not apply to all
stations, W/VE, DX, or otherwise.

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker@cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                  Amateur Radio Callsign: KM5FA
Department of the Computer Sciences         President, UT Amateur Radio Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124               Maintainer of the Linux Laptop Home Page