[CQ-Contest] CQ WW 160 CW

Subject: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW 160 CW
From: zf2nt@candw.ky (Bruce Sawyer)
Date: Sat Jan 22 11:57:42 2000
> Please observe the Dx window so more Dx contacts can be made (between
> continents!).

An interesting comment.  I just wish I understood it.

I doubt there is anybody in the world  who is not highly desirable DX for
somebody.  Even a lowly W6 is exciting stuff to an eastern European.  And
unless you have a P5 or a VU4 prefix, you're bound to have neighbors who
consider you nothing more than QRM.  We're all DX and QRM at the same time.
So who then should be allowed to use "The Window"?  Or is the idea that
anybody can CQ there, but if you're running in "The Window" then you
shouldn't ever answer calls from somebody on the same continent?  Right.
I'm sure I could make a lot of friends next weekend by CQing in "The Window"
and then refusing to work any US stations which call me.

I submit that this notion of "DX Window" is a fundamentally flawed concept,
and wish the idea would disappear, soon.  All if ever does is give us
something to fight over--one person accusing another of violating "The
Window".  Each of us would love to see DX (i.e., what we individually
consider to be rare or unusual, especially if it's a new multiplier for us)
spread out evenly in "The Window".  But there's too much symmetry in the
world for that to be possible.  The US fellows think it's great when they
hear Clive and Mike and Wolf perched cleanly in "The Window" with no
adjacent QRM, but I doubt the other Europeans think that's so nice.  What
they want to hear are some west coast stations cleanly placed for the
taking, and no QRM from the east coast.  And the JAs?  West coast is nothing
to them; they want those east coast contacts!

And just what is "The Window" anyway?  No two people ever seem to agree on
the same definition.  1830-1835?  1830-1840?  1820-1832?  I've seen all of
these definitions.  But even if we agreed on what the frequency limits are
(and I'm sure it's defined somewhere for the purpose of this one contest), I
still don't think there's the vaguest consensus over who can do what
there.  If you think about it, it's no more possible to specify that than it
is to define what "DX" is.  But we can sure argue about it!

Just an opinion.

73,
Bruce, ZF2NT