[CQ-Contest] CQ WW 160 CW

Subject: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW 160 CW
From: bernie@dailydx.com (Bernie McClenny)
Date: Sat Jan 22 15:38:38 2000
I agree with all of Bruce's comments on the DX Window.  I have been wondering
for a few years now why we even need a DX Window anymore.  In the old days I am
sure it was a good idea but now most countries are able to get on 160 meters and
in all kinds of different areas of the band.  K0CKD has an excellent resource
that lists each countries band plans at
http://www.angenent.org/Topbanders/topban2000.txt

CQs 160 meter contest says the DX Window is 1830-1835.  They also say W VE and
Europeans should avoid working people from their own continent on these
frequencies.  I guess a serious DXer from the US could get on and CQ DX between
1830 and 1835 and just avoid US calls.  However I think all the US stations
would QRM the guy.  The ARRL says the DX (International) Window is from 1830 to
1840 on CW and 1840 to 1850 on SSB.

It seems to me that the DX windows on 160 meters are just a tradition and not
necessary anymore.  Having operated from the US, the Caribbean and the Middle
East on 160 meters I can tell you that at each location there are good
frequencies and there are bad frequencies and these DX Windows can get in the
way.  The DX stations should always operate on a frequency (that is in his band
plan) that is clear to his audience and he should listen for stations on
frequencies that are clear for him.

de Bernie, W3UR

--
Bernie McClenny, W3UR