[CQ-Contest] SO2R IS A Seperate Entry Class

Subject: [CQ-Contest] SO2R IS A Seperate Entry Class
From: w2gd@hotmail.com (John Crovelli)
Date: Thu Jun 1 05:58:21 2000

Creation of a separate SO2R entry class is IMHO long overdue.  Operators who
are simultaneously using two radios have inherent and very significant
scoring  advantages over an operator who is using a single radio.  Since the
nature of each style of operation is so different, drawing comparisons (in
terms of operator ability and final score) between the two is essentially
meaningless.  The difference in overall score generation capacities between
the two have reached the point where contest sponsors should take action and
finally recognize the difference, creating entry classes that are more
appropriate.

The proliferation of SO2R operation has already created this division on a
defacto basis.  A void clearly exists where competitors who have chosen not
to make the hardware investment or to master the special operating
techniques required for SO2R operation do not have an entry class where they
compete directly against true peers.  Scores of Single Operator Single Radio
(SOSR) competitors are listed along with SO2R entries, as if they are equal,
but obviously they are not.  There are fundamental differences.

Not having a pure SOSR class can and probably does impact entry class
selection by some operators (I am in this group).  Why beat your head
against the wall with one radio if you know your score will likely be lower
than your peers who are using two radios to maximum advantage, but both of
you are supposedly equal entrants and your scores will appear in the same
competitive category.  It just ain't so!  To me the difference is very
clear.

Barry (W2UP), thanks for raising the question.  This is a great topic for
additional discussion on this reflector.  I would like to see more comments
pro and con, especially any rational that would support the argument that
SOSR and SO2R are somehow equal and there should be no class division.

73, John W2GD/P40W