[CQ-Contest] SO2R IS A Seperate Entry Class

Subject: [CQ-Contest] SO2R IS A Seperate Entry Class
From: TOMK5RC@aol.com (TOMK5RC@aol.com)
Date: Thu Jun 1 11:43:54 2000
In a message dated 6/1/00 5:32:19 AM Pacific Daylight Time, w2gd@hotmail.com
writes:

<< Creation of a separate SO2R entry class is IMHO long overdue >>

In which contests? What is the driving motivation?

Perhaps in DX contests additional categories make sense because there is a
true "global" issue of variation in station configurations. I am not opposed
to additional categories. In fact, I championed the Multi-two category in the
ARRL DX test.

My concern is that the motivation for SO2R being another attempt to "level
the playing field" in domestic contests. We've debated this subject for at
least the last 30 years and found no consensus.

I was one of the first to have a memory keyer and happened to win SS CW in
1975. Was that unfair? I am one of the last to embrace SO2R, should I
petition for an "OFOR" (Old Fart, One Radio) category? Should I be penalized
because I have realized my radio ambition to live on a 6,500' mountain top in
NV and have an "unfair advantage" over other members of NCCC who live at sea
level and are just another "CA" station? Look a the "assisted" categories.
They are a great idea, but scores seldom are as high as those who are not
assisted. It seems to me that any attempt to differentiate based on ability
to build a competitive station will serve only to dilute the existing
categories of entry and discourage folks from continually improving
themselves and their hobby.

With all of the categories presently on the books and all of the clever
sorting techniques used in reporting the results, it appears to me that
everyone who wants to see their call in a "box" can do so today.

Just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Tom Taormina, K5RC/K7GJ