[CQ-Contest] Click, click, click...

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Click, click, click...
From: olinger@bellsouth.net (Guy Olinger)
Date: Thu Feb 22 21:35:18 2001
Think probably has a good deal less to do with the exciter than how the
amplifier is driven. Particularly those amps that need only 65 watts to
drive it to 1.5 kW.

The loading needs to be backed off until as the drive is increased the
grid current increases linearly, and the curve has NOT gone into
compression as 1.5 kW or max power has been reached.

Note that this happy least clickey state is NOT usually attained by
tuning for maximum smoke. And some of the same signals that are clickey
on CW are broad on SSB. Keep a list and check it out.

I heard you on in the ARRL CW. You weren't clickey. Clean sharp signal,
but not clickey.

73

Guy Olinger, K2AV
Apex, NC, USA