[CQ-Contest] Watch that main radio while SO2R...

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Watch that main radio while SO2R...
From: w9sz@prairienet.org (Zack Widup)
Date: Mon Mar 5 12:25:32 2001
On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, Bob Naumann - N5NJ wrote:

 > Clear passbands are not a given in a contest.
 >
 > Robert E. Naumann
 > N5NJ / V26O

This is something I learned to deal with from my first days of contesting.
I don't know if this is something others have observed, but in ARRL DX CW
contests anyway, most of the U.S. big guns seem to call CQ at the bottom
of the band (the Extra portion) and most of the DX call CQ higher in the
band. However, a few DX stations call CQ in among the US big guns.  I
learned long ago how to pull them out of the QRM.

I'm not the world's best SSB operator, but I have learned how to handle
the weak signals sandwiched between the Big Sigs a kHz or so on either
side - at least I think I'm better at it than the non-contester!

73, Zack W9SZ