[CQ-Contest] SR2Q -- Did it ever happen to you???

Subject: [CQ-Contest] SR2Q -- Did it ever happen to you???
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Fri Mar 9 17:10:19 2001
At 08:37 AM 3/9/01 -0000, Tim Makins,  EI8IC wrote:

 >Yep - I even had this from Mr. Big (that's KC1XX !) Happened a couple more
 >times in ARRL CW, and in one of them, I didn't get the call of one of the
 >guys - too eager for a mult, I guess. The only way to be sure you've had a
 >QSO with someone is when they send you your callsign - isn't that right ???

Like a lot of things, I suspect this is a matter of shadings, rather than
black and white.  When I'm running more or less in the clear, I feel
confident relying on timing to identify who is calling me, vs who's calling
someone else nearby -- that and making sure his/her frequency is within
100-200 HZ of mine.

Particularly on the high bands, where you can't necessarily hear your
relatively nearby competitor, sometimes things just get to sound a little
bit "off."  People seem to be coming back a bit too soon, or a bit too late
(particularly the former).  In that case, rather than try to retrain the
callers into sending my call too, I consciously stretch a CQ a bit, give my
call an extra time, or anything to break up the synchronization that could
be an ambiguous situation.

I've found that sometimes, on those bands, I can run very close to another
US station with both of us maintaining quite satisfactory rates, as long as
we're far enough out of sync.

73, Pete N4ZR
Contesting is!

The World Contest Station Database