[CQ-Contest] Ionospheric heating

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Ionospheric heating
From: k8do@email.msn.com (k8do)
Date: Fri Apr 6 10:48:32 2001
A 120KW ERP at the end of the antenna is impressive... But what is the power
density at 10 wavelengths, a thousand wave lengths, ten thousand
wavelengths, a hundred thousand wavelengths?
Hint: The formula to calculate the change in power density for a change in
distance is found near the front of any antenna theory textbook...
Even multiplying the ERP by a few thousand amateur stations at the height of
a contest and the power density at 200 miles in the ionosphere is still
extremely small, especially compared to ionic excitation from thermal
energy, energy from lightning strikes, and most assuredly compared to the
ravening UV, Xray, and Gamma energy of the sun at those altitudes...
The statement that ham activity has a measurable effect upon ion spin and
density at 200 miles up, much less a significant impact, is upon the face of
it liken to the old advertising slogan, "Makes your teeth 100% whiter."....

Denny